1.09.2010

en*joy

Main Entry: en·joy
Pronunciation: \in-ˈjȯi, en-\
intransitive verb: to have a good time
transitive verb:
1. to have for one's use, benefit, or lot : experience
2. to take pleasure or satisfaction in


I was at the grocery check out line alone (very rare) today and the 16 year old bagger girl was trying to make polite conversation with me and asked, "So, do you have plans tonight?" All I could do is laugh and respond. "I have two small children, of course I don't have plans."

Boy do I need an attitude adjustment or what?
In her defense it is Saturday night and most people make plans.

In my defense, my husband has been working every Friday and Saturday night for the passed 2 years. Weekends are meaningless to me. Except of course Sundays which are always cherished.

Furthermore, I do have two small children and by the end of the day I'm null and void of any type of energy even if I had a husband at home to make plans with.

For all my husband knows, I only own a robe.

Anyway, back to enjoying things.... I felt guilty for my pitiful remarks to the girl and seconds later added, "I don't mean to sound so blah, I love my children and wouldn't trade my life for any other."

So for the last half of the day I've been thinking about how to go about my challenging day with enjoyment so that when someone asks how my day is, the first thing out of my mouth isn't something cynical or sarcastic.

Something that has helped teach me a valuable lesson in enjoyment is my father-inlaw. We've moved back in with Jay's dad for a week or so to help him out post knee surgery. Which has been an amazing thing to witness. The man had his leg chopped in half (more or less) and was up and moving around in 24 hours. The doctor's assistant said he's never seen anyone so quick to do their exercises and stretching. My father-inlaw is invincible and so driven. He's been positive and motivated. I'm inspired in my journey to find more enjoyment in whatever circumstance I am in.

Anywho, as I put Andrew to bed tonight I laid with him and chatted after we read books. He is such an amazing boy. He is so funny and curious. He has so much to say. He likes to make plans for the next day. He is tender and sweet. I enjoyed that for sure.

I wish to point out to myself all that I enjoyed today;
1. Going for a walk with the kids and the pups. Balancing on all the curbs along the way.
2. Going to pick up Grandpa's mail and dividing out the pieces of mail equally between everyone and wondering if Grandpa would mind bent envelopes with tiny footprints on them.
3. Grocery shopping alone was nice
4. Watching my kids interact with Grandpa before dinner.
5. My post dinner Diet Cherry Coke
6. Having Jason come home in 10 minutes.

How do you make sure and enjoy your day despite the stress, chaos, and busy schedule?

2 comments:

The Losee's said...

Thank you! I needed that this week. It's pretty sad that I count down the hours until bed time everyday. I need to enjoy this time because it will pass quickly. Thanks for being there for dad!

Jeni said...

I needed to read this. Thanks for your thoughts!

I miss you and am sad that we never got together while I was living in Berkeley.