11.19.2009

Surgery Day

So the day has come. But to rewind momentarily I have to say that last night was tough. I was exhausted but kept waking up for fear of not waking up on time this morning.
We were up and out by 5:20am. Leah had to fast :( But was still a trooper while we waited for the surgery to start.

Here is a pic of her eye before. You can see the cyst on her left eye. (ignore the dinner on her face)

We got there at 6 and the surgery started just after 7. It was so helpful for both me and Leah to have Jason so calm and collected. What a loving Dad!

The anesthesiologist let me gown up so I could come in with Lu while he put her to sleep. Let me just say that this was such a test. I knew Jason would be the stronger one, but I really wanted to be with her. I put on my brave face and boy did I need it. This just might have been the moment of my whole life that I had to dig the deepest. It was scary watching her be so scared but I tried to be cheery and reassuring. I was shaken by the experience but felt accomplished and strengthened.

Once the surgery was over her doctor came out and explained that it had left a divot in her bone so it was a good thing that we got it out when we did. He gave her 6 stitches. The nurse came and got us and told me I could come back again to help her wake up since I was so calm before (so glad I was able to trick them). Waking up from anesthesia is tough. She was super groggy and super annoyed. She would thrash around and she is so much heavier when limp. We took these photos right when we got in the car which annoyed her.

As we started to drive almost simultaneously Jason and I both let out the hugest sighs of relief.

We got home just after 9am and gave her hundreds of popsicles and frozen gogurts. She went down for a nap and woke up swollen, looking like she got in a street fight. She's in good spirits and eating normally. We sure love our girl and are so glad she's okay.

6 comments:

themiller'slife said...

I'm so happy she's good and have a happy face after all that.
Deseamos que se recupere pronto, nuestras oraciones estaran para ella y todos uds.
Love you!!!

Jessica Mason said...

I am so glad that everything went well. Bless your heart. Isn't funny that our kids are usually braver through these things than we are? I can't believe how big she has gotten. She doesn't look like a baby anymore. When did that happen? Hope that her recovery goes well. Lots of love.

Marcy and Jaime said...

I am so proud of you sister!! You have always been so strong, but when it has to do with your babies I know that has got to be SO different!! I appreciate your blog....LOVE YOU ALL!!

Mindy and Marty said...

Wow, what a crazy experience! I am proud of you and jason to stay so collected and all...that would be really tough to go through...there is nothing like seeing your child scared or in pain...it takes a toll on you for sure...so way to go to you guys...and to Leah...what a trooper. glad everything went well

Jenny Kapp said...

Poor sweet thing! I am glad everything went well!

Jeni said...

I can't even imagine! How strong you are and what a brave little girl!

Leah looks like you more everyday. Love to you and your fam while your sweet little girl recovers quickly!