7.19.2008

The Evolution of a Prank Call


So Jason's phone kept ringing all day today which is extremely bizarre seeing how it only rings when it's me calling him. He told me it was a prank caller, at which point I corrected him saying that it's called a Crank Call. But after some reflection, Prank Call seems correct. What do you call it?

Any who, he kept getting all these annoying texts and multimedia messages. He decided to ignore them. But in the last 1/2 hour the kid sent like 3 more texts using words and pictures more appropriate for a garbage can. So with the phone next to me I decided to call the number. Now I know what you are thinking, and no I didn't unleash. I just told the preteen that he was sending the great pics and text to the wrong person and to check his number. I think he was so scared and embarrassed that he didn't even respond. I think he go the message though cause I haven't gotten one since.

This brings me to another point.
Kids + cell phones + over confidence + no supervision= trouble.

I'm not saying that I never prank/crank called anyone, I'm just saying I never sent horrible pictures or wrote ugly words in a text. What if this number belonged to your 9 year old who has a phone so they can keep in touch with you or something? Just a scary thought. A harmless joke in our day where we used our family phone located in the kitchen, has now turned into a teen in his room with a private phone sending gross images and words into the world with no idea where it is to be received. I guess every positive (meaning technology) is always accompanied with some dangerous negatives.

ON a lighter note, back in the day when prank calling was harmless, my favorite was
"Hey, your goat is in my garden." And the person would most likely say, "I don't have a goat." and I would say, "Well I don't have a garden!!"

Mind you, this was very funny to me and my friends.

Times have changed!! And how.

4 comments:

The Griffins said...

That was YOU calling me back in the day?? :]

jaclyn said...

one of the many reasons hallie won't be getting a phone anytime soon!

Eileen said...

HAHAHA....my favorite was excuse me but is your refrigerator running and when they said yes you would tell them..well you better go catch it :) But you are right parents need to keep an eye and an ear on their children and their online activity and cell phone activity.....

Unknown said...

Did you get our message...hehehe