6.11.2008

Connection

I didn't make it to my exercise class this morning and was pretty put out. I was frustrated that it took me so long to get my kids ready and I was feeling so irritated with Andrew and his new found "No's". I knew that I needed to get out to exercise so despite the discouraging weather I decided to take a bike ride around South Weber. I popped in my ipod and instead of listening to something that would motivate me to pedal faster, my mellow play list seemed to beckon me. I was immediately taken to such a great place. I know it sounds a bit silly. But honestly life is frantic right now and the power of music is incredible. I felt a sense of harmony and connection with myself and where I am. I had the chance to clear my head and it was really great.

I talked to my mom this morning and she had received a letter from an Aunt that she has never known. My Grandma was given up by her father (along with her 7 other siblings) and sent to an orphanage. She was adopted when she was 3 to a wonderful family. She was given a new name and never reconnected with her family. About 9 years ago when I was baptized into the LDS church I felt a strong desire to learn about Genealogy. I asked my Grandma for information and although reluctant to relive her painful past, she sent me one piece of paper. It had the names of all of her brothers and sisters and her biological parents' names. I tucked it into my files until this morning when my mom told me about this lady that sent her a letter and told her about why my Grandma was put up for adoption. This woman was able to connect the dots for us and give us a bit of my Grandma's history. I felt a great sense of connection with these people that before only existed on paper. It's funny how something like this can give life a new meaning. I have a renewed desire to find these family members and fill in the holes of where my Grandma came from.

I took Andrew and his favorite friends Mady and Trae swimming this afternoon. Leah slept like a lamb and I got the chance to whole heartedly enjoy some time with Andrew. Sometimes I feel an obligation to play with him and give him my time, but today I really enjoyed playing with him. He is turning into such a great little swimmer. We laughed and played and it was really rejuvenating. I loved connecting with him today.

I really needed this kind of day to connect. It gave me a chance to find a balance that I have really been missing. I would encourage you to see where you may have a disconnect in your life and find out what you can do to mend it. I have had a pure sense of joy today and I'm ready to deal with what comes my way in the next few moths.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Great post. Days like those are the best!

Brooke Shreeve said...

I love positivity and what people can do with such positive power and I think it is so important to always remind yourself of the great things. It is also a great reminder for others to stay positive. Thanks for a fun night the other night. Let me know if you guys do it again.

kelly said...

I love this post. Thanks for the reminder on reconnecting. I needed that! you are so awesome to even realize the need to connect with yourself!