When I was a missionary in Puerto Rico 10 years ago, I lived in a duplex with a Mango tree. They were plentiful, amazingly fresh, high in vitamin c, and totally free. I lived in cities where mangoes fell from trees on public streets. My time in Puerto Rico represented a time of struggle, hope, love, adventure, disappointment, an above all growth. And so, any time I have a mango, I remember.
A few years later when I was about 24 years old I was passing through a trying time. Probably my life's most challenging obstacle. I went to Costco because I had a bit of extra time. Lo and behold, the mangoes had come in. I purchased a box and before leaving the parking lot I had consumed a whole mango in a matter of minutes. On the radio was playing a song that I can't even remember the name of to but I know that the lyrics represented the fact that every one has struggles and there was a reassurance that those hard things are part of life. I felt strengthened. I felt hope. I no longer felt alone. Amazing that a mango and a song can do that.
This passed month as most people know I have been trying to conquer "morning/all the freakin' time" sickness. It is discouraging. It is demoralizing. The last couple weeks have definitely improved thanks to the medicine. I went to my moms last week and you can probably guess what I found there. Oh yes, my friends, a mango. I devoured it in seconds knowing the magical effect that this wonderful fruit has on my emotions.
And this brings me to present day. Mangoes have arrived at Costco. I bought my $7 box of miracle workers yesterday. I need no knife, just a clean mango and a napkin (optional) I can peel the skin back with my teeth (thanks to my 2nd missionary companion) as to not loose any of the mango by cutting it. Then bite by bite, I can enjoy my mango down to the pit. And then I arrive..... Happiness!!!

pay no mind to the mango juice all over my sweatshirt :)
Do you have a magic fruit/food?
6 comments:
Raspberries are my magical fruit. They bring me back in time when I would go and pick them in my grandmas yard and then either eat them plain or pour milk and sugar over them and eat them like cereal. You're right, it's amazing how just something as simple as that can put you in a better mood.
i've never eaten a mango, i must try one.
Love it! Congratulations on the baby and sorry about how yucky you are feeling. Cereal is my favorite vice when I can't stomach the thought of any normal kind of food. For the record, you made my mouth water by looking at your drippy goodness :)
Oh I loved this post. I could totally hear you saying all of this. Made me miss you even more!
Mangos are such a treat. I love how they take you to such a good place.
I couldn't come up with a magic fruit/food! But there are definitely certain smells and songs that take me to a good place.
I would like a "how to peel a mango with your bare teeth" step by step video!
WHAT ...are you pregno?! CONGRATS...how exciting!
Post a Comment