3.18.2010

What? You're not suppose to go to the ER once a month?

This has become our new reality lately. Andrew has made yet another trip to the Emergency room because of this Asthma stuff. He has been 3 times since December. We aren't really sure what's causing it, other than once he catches someone's cold, he's in the dog house not too much later.
Saturday he went in to the ER and came home with some steroids. Monday night, he was in a BAD way. He woke up with an asthma attack around 10. After numerous breathing treatments with his nebulizer, he still couldn't stop coughing long enough to fall asleep. It was a very difficult night filled with lots of tears, lots of prayer, and very little sleep for anyone. There is no way I could even describe accurately how difficult that night was. But the strength and confidence we've gained as a family has been very special.

Our new normal has become:

Nebulizer: Xopenex 4x daily
Nebulizer: Pulmicort 2x daily
Oral steroid: 1x daily
Amoxicillan: 3x daily
Singulair: 1x daily

plus the Tylenol and Robitussin for comfort


Mind you, I barely take tylenol..... and that is after I have suffered a headache or pain for a few hours.

I am a believer in medicine though. It has given my son his breath back. I can't even believe how strong he has been. What a wonderful attitude he has maintained through this all. I love Andrew so much. I am learning how to push through my own pain in life.

Have I mentioned how thankful I am that breathing is Jason's profession? We are all learning from him.
Even Leah is joining in to check his lung sounds and retractions.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor guy! Is it a hereditary thing? I would have no clue what to do! Stay strong Mommy.

AmyK said...

What a blessing Jason is a respiratory therapist! It's like it was inspired! I am thinking of you.

Amanda said...

Oh man. It's so scary when kiddos are having issues breathing. I hated that more than anything when I worked in the hospital. I can't even imagine it being my own child. You're a good momma to be on top of all of those meds! That's a lot!

Jessica Mason said...

Matt has asthma and so I know how scary it can be. Bless you heart. I hope that he gets feeling better and that you are able to get some better sleep. What a blessing that Jason knows what to do for him.