10.07.2008

Perspective


When given the opportunity to get to know someone else, they offer you more than just a friendship, they offer perspective.

Experience # 1
Last night a family friend came over to print some pictures. She was printing pictures of her friend's village in Uganda. I was so excited to meet Robina and have the chance to ask questions about her life in Africa. From our short visit I only got a mere flash of what her life was like. I was told the story of how she came to America with her 5 children fleeing from war, destruction, poverty, and abuse. She is now working together with our friend to raise funds to bring water to her village and eventually a school building. I reflected on our earlier conversation about how I worried about my children sharing a room. Uhh, how embarrassing. It is amazing what we have when we gain some perspective.

Experience #2
I have been following a friends journey as she blogs the process of working through loosing her baby late in her pregnancy. It has been filled with pain, confusion, and frustration. Only to eventually find relief and peace. She is almost 6 months pregnant now and it's wonderful. I have heard many of my friends going through this same type of struggle losing those sweet babies. I appreciate those that are willing to share this struggle with me. It offers me perspective on loving those sweet children of mine as difficult as some moments may be, I have them and that is what matters the most.

Experience #3
I received and email today from one of my dearest friends. She was an amazing neighbor to me when I lived in Salt Lake 4 years ago. We were and will forever be kindred spirits. We were pregnant with our boys at the same time and although I was twice her size we got each other some tough moments with some great laughs. We lost touch because of some tough times I had a few years ago when Jay and I lost 3 dear family members in the same year. Any how, we both moved and changed phone numbers. It was so frustrating because I thought of her so much. Before moving to Ca. I decided to go by her mom's house to try to get a hold of her. Her sweet mom put us back in contact, sort of. We played phone tag for a month. During which time we moved. Once I finally talked with her, I learned of the trial of her life. Her little boy Austin was diagnosed with APML a rare type of Leukemia. My heart hurt so bad and I wanted so much to help her. Her amazing husband has started this website to blog the journey that Austin and his family have embarked upon.

Again, I gain some perspective on sorrow and pain and trials that we face in this life.
Oh if I could only be as amazing as these people that have blessed me with this insight in the passed few days. I would encourage you to take the time to read Austin's story. It is not a sob story. It is a story of hope, and strength and love and unity. It will inspire you to fight through what ever ails you.


"Adversity will be a constant or occasional companion for each of us throughout our lives. We cannot avoid it. The only question is how we will react to it. Will our adversities be stumbling blocks or stepping stones? Our responses will inevitably shape our souls and ultimately determine our status in eternity. Because opposition is divinely decreed for the purpose of helping us to grow, we have the assurance of God that in the long view of eternity it will not be allowed to overcome us if we persevere in faith. We will prevail. Like mortal life of which they are a part, adversities are temporary. What is permanent is what we become by the way we react to them.” - Dallin H. Oaks “Adversity”, Ensign, July 1998


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Great post! It was a wonderful reminder of how blessed I am and how I want to show more charity and kindness to others in need. Thanks!