9.13.2008

Beware Bicyclists


While in route to pick up Andrew, I was driving up Auburn-Folsom Road, which for those of you who don't know, it's this gorgeous 2 lane scenic road that goes from where we are living with my F.I.L. to my mom's house. The speed limit is 45 and it has very few stops on it's 30 mile stretch.

I was following a string of cars when all of a sudden, I saw a man on a bike go flying into the ditch. I seriously thought to myself, "Now, what is he doing?" Then I saw a right side mirror come flying to the ground. I realized that the guy two cars ahead of me hit the bicyclist and sent him flying into the ditch. He pulled over and I saw him turn around in my rear view mirror.
I kept driving feeling assured that the driver had turned around. But after another second I figured that it was better that too many people called 911 than no one calling at all.
I was pretty nervous calling 911 for some reason. I wasn't sure if they would think it was serious enough. Anyway, once I was talking to the dispatcher I told her the guy that hit the biker had turned around. She said that someone else had called from the scene and the driver did not stop. Which is really too bad. And really I was in shock that he didn't go back. The consequences for a hit and run are far worse that if he would have stayed there. And today, a day later, I can't stop thinking about poor bicycle man wondering if he's okay. I'm sure he's fine, since on the way back from getting Drew, I saw the ambulances there taking care of him. It's just that Jay comes home all the time with unbelievable stories about the things people do out there to land them in the hospital.
Accidents all around us...ok now I sound paranoid, but really I'm just appreciating life.
I hope you are ok bicycle man!!! Just wanted to put it out there in case he reads blogs :)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Stories like that are sad and disturbing! I always get nervous when Matt goes on his bike... scary!

Michelle said...

By the way, that's great about Leah!!

Unknown said...

Another reason I don't ride a bike! How scary! I hope the biker is ok. I always try to be extra cautious around them! Miss you. Let's talk soon.

ali said...

the music on your blog made me so happy today!