10.09.2012

My 1st Triathalon

About 6 months ago, I signed up for a triathalon in Napa Valley. It has always been on my bucket list and more specifically this year, I decided to make it my Physical New Year's resolution goal. I knew some ladies who participated in this same race last year when Ev was just 6 weeks old. So I recruited about 5 friends. 2 of which bailed on us (boo) and started training. Amanda and I have a long history of doing crazy things together. I have known her for 25 years. Lacy started out as one of my young women, then she turned into my babysitter, and now is my friend. It is not easy to train with someone half my age but I swear, it helped so much. I also trained with with other neighbors and friends and it was really so much fun.

So Friday afternoon we headed down to our hotel so we didn't have to drive the 2 1/2- 3 hours the morning of the race. Here we are having our pre-race meal followed by some shopping at the outlets.

 None of us slept, we were all so anxious. The weather report said it would be 55 degrees at the time of the race. We weren't feeling all too pumped. This is Lacy and I hiding in the car so as not to freeze.
 This is the transition area where you keep your riding and running stuff. I wish I had taken a picture afterwards as well because it was a disaster. When you are trying to get in  and out of there in 2 minutes, stuff gets thrown everywhere.
 Lake Berryessa which thankfully was 70 degrees. Nice. We swam a triangular course around the bouys in self-seeded waves of about 50-75 people. The ride was full of up and downs. There were a few really long climbs. The run was the riding course and a long steady climb up and a nice down hill back.

 My swim was probably my quickest event which i expected. I swam the 500 yds in 12:47. I biked the 11 miles in 47:02. I ran the 3 miles in 30 flat. With transitions my time was 135:06. I ranked 78th out of about 300+ women there. The lady that came in 1st did it in 105:40. Wow. I'm happy with my time. I shaved off like 15 minutes from my sprint distance training time.

I came home and soaked in the hot tub, took a shower, ate, then got online to find my next race. It was so much fun and I'm really glad I had friends to do it with.

No comments: