3.22.2008

Recommendations Please

Leah needs to see a dermatologist for what we suspect to be a Superficial Hemangioma on her eye. We have received one referral from her pediatrician and we have an appointment in May. We still would really like to get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Has any one seen a dermatologist that they could recommend? If you don't mind, will you native Utahns ask your parents if they know anyone that they could recommend as well? This has already been a frustrating process to find a MD that comes highly recommended.

I've been trying to research as much as I can to get informed about the best method of treatment. Here's my book report :)
Hemangiomas can grow for up to 18 months and then begin a long slow regression known as involution. This involution can last from 3- 10 years. While all hemangiomas eventually 'involute" the result is not always cosmetically acceptable. Early intervention has been shown to reduce the need for corrective surgery after "involution" has occurred; or to, at least, minimize extensive corrective surgeries in the future. Psycho-social scarring which occurs when a child has been forced to live with a facial deformity until "involution" has been completed can be avoided by early, aggressive intervention.

I've found a few websites with children that have conditions similar to Leah's and the results of the treatments are really encouraging.

So we'll see. This is the start of what will probably be a long journey but we're optimistic that things will work out just fine for Leah.

So any and all recommendations are welcome, even if you are blog stalking, maybe there is reason you have stumbled on to my blog today.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I just e-mailed my friend who really liked this dermatologist in Salt Lake, who was really recommended by a lot of people, including my friends dad who is a doctor as well. Anyway, I'll let you know as soon as she gets back to me.
By the way, Leah is such a little doll! I'm glad I was finally able to see her today.

Jenny Kapp said...

I don't know of any specific, but I have been very impressed with all of the doctors Tessa has seen at Primary Children's Hospital. You can call their general line and ask if they have a dermatologist or one they can recommend. Hope that helps!

Tiffany & Co. said...

I have seen Dr. David Allen in Ogden, I would recommend him, he's really good. His father Dr. Edgar Allen, is also a dermotologist in the same building. Either of them would be excellent. Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Nicole said...

I agree with Jenny on Primary Childrens if you don't mind driving up there. I am sure that there are excellent dermatologists around here but when it comes to dealing with children Primary is the best. I love all her little knit hats by the way.

Nicole said...

Oh and by the way it wasn't my Ben that made that comment on your neighbor post. If you click on the name it brings up some other guy. I don't know if you know him but I have no idea who he is so you should go take a look and see if you know him.

Anonymous said...

I go to Dr. Thomson in South Ogden and I really like him. The only problem is, I am not sure if he is taking new patients and the wait is usually forever. You can call and tell them your situation and he might be able to get in. Good luck!

Michelle said...

K, my friend said her dermatologist's name is Dr. Stephen Thompson. She said he is really good, but hard to get into. Good luck.

Aleesha said...

Me and my whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, etc.) all go to Dr. Urry at McKay Dee. He's excellent.

AmyK said...

I have gone to a few dermatologists trying to fix the acne thing and the one who was by far the best for me is named Leonard Swinyer. He is in SLC across the street from St Marks and his number is 266-8841. The only question I would have is whether pediatrics is one of his specialties.