So Jason and I went out to a great restaurant last night out at the Ogden Airport called Rickenbauchers. We had been there once before with his Dad and had such a great time. Jason made reservations for days ago and we had the babysitter lined up and everything. Jason requested a window seat which are really coveted for the amazing view of the mountains. We left the house without a hitch. Andrew was in a good mood for the sitter and we were off. Once we got there we sat down at a great table and started to chat. When BAM, a small face of a 3 year old child was smooshed on the glass above us. My first reaction:
1. What on earth is a child doing in this restaurant?????
2. Why on earth would someone bring their child on a Valentine's date???
3. Why in the *&%% is that child's face still on the glass?
Disclaimer: My child, while no angel when we eat, would never be taken to a restaurant like this.
So, I look at Jason and we smile and look away thinking the parents will surely be mortified and quickly rectify the situation. Oh no, throughout our dinner she stared at us, showed her food to us, banged her fork on the glass, hummed, whined, and put her bare feet up against the glass.
I guess our tolerance grew because we soon were able to just ignore the situation. Even though I really wanted to say something to the server or to the parents. It was just blatant disrespect to everyone around this child, especially us.
Do people not know better? Would you guys ever take your children out to a very fancy restaurant and allow them to behave this way?
Maybe the situation wouldn't be so appalling if they were actually paying attention to what she was doing. I'm not a perfect parent, but I would truly not even allow Andrew to do that to another table in the playplace area at McDonalds.
Although very disturbing, we didn't let it ruin the night, the food was still delicious, and we were able to have this beautiful thing called an adult conversation.
I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I just feel very passionate about this situation.
6 comments:
Oh, I love it! That is just so classic. I would be mortified if my child was doing something like that. I too have issues with parents that let their kids do whatever they want in public places.
Why do you think we haven't been on a date since we moved to Utah? I hate even taking my kids to Roosters (and they're pretty well behaved, especially with crayons, books,etc.). What a waste of money on a kid, too! At least you were able to ignore it and have a good date, though.
Oh crap that was you Tia was throwing food at. If I had known that was you I would have told her to just throw it at Jason.
Some days it is so hard to control your kids, but at a nice place, try harder. I think some people just think their kids doing stuff like that is cute - not cute!
I completely agree with you on this one! Some people have no class and they just let their kids do whatever they want! You are nice to not say anything, I would've said something to the waiter and the parents.
Having no children myself, these kind of situations drive ME CRAZY!! Now, I don't have children, so I probably don't understand how difficult it is to take your children places, but like you said, JUST DON'T TAKE THEM TO PLACES LIKE THAT!!!! Even I know that.
I'm so glad you and Jason were actually able to hang out. I know his schedule has been crazy, so it must have been nice to spend some time with him.
Post a Comment